Hole in the sky?

My name is Major.

Monday, September 13, 2021

Popping/crackling coming from the speakers/headphones (How to fix)

Beware - This image may cause extra frames or loss of sound

    You've tried everything! Updating the drivers, trying different speakers, trying new drivers, nothing works! The headphones are popping during YouTube videos, music and games and you can't fix it, and every single guide on the internet is no help. I get it, it's all clickbait bullshit and you're fed up. Your sound card drivers are fine, trust me. They weren't popping before, right?


   I recently installed new Nvidia drivers, as it's been a while and I wanted some hot DLSS action for a few games that I have not tried out yet. Right after the update, I'm watching a Techmoan video, and there is the dreaded popping sound. It would not going away. Any amount of treble in the speech of the video would cause it. I tried to update the RealTek sound driver and a few other quick tricks, tried different headphones.. nothing. Out of curiosity I uninstalled the Nvidia HD sound drivers, and POOF. Just like that, the sound was restored to its full quality. I let Windows catch their HD drivers that do the exact same shit on the next restart so if I wanted sound over Display Port or HDMI in the future, I would have it. (Spoiler, I don't use it, and neither should you) I suppose you could just roll back the Nvidia driver to a previous, but this faster and you don't even need to restart, and it feels good to delete things. Everything works the same and you get the satisfaction of saying fuck you to Nvidia, even though you still need the graphic driver to play games and whatnot. 

     Changing to the plain jane Microsoft driver does have its benefits, like Dolby Atmos sound compatibility right out of the box. 

      How to Fix the Sound
  1. Don't Trust Nvidia
  2. Go to the Device Manager (Windows 10)
  3. Go to the Sound, Video and Game Controllers arrow
  4. Right click the Nvidia logo, uninstall HD sound driver
You're Welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment