Hole in the sky?

My name is Major.

Wednesday, May 15, 2024

The Venerable RTX 2080

I've had this thing forever.

     A little history: I bought my RTX 2080 OC on launch day for $849 from Best Buy. It had been years since I bought a card on launch day, and I wanted the best, and the RTX 2080 was the IT card at the time. I had an aging 1070 that performed perfectly, and is still hard at work in the PC next to me my son uses for school, paired with my old 8700k.. chugging along just fine.

The lineup at the time.

     I had no idea that I would have been better off with the GTX 1080ti. I was told by Nvidia and their marketing department that the card would have ray tracing and 8GB of their new memory would be enough. For $300 less dollars, I could have got the 1080ti, but I wanted the new hot performing card. 

I was lied to.

     The numbers came out no sooner than I got the card home and in my PC. The 1080ti with a mild overclock and a fan on it would easily beat the shit out of the 2080, and later, they added RTX support for the card. It was looking like I was had, and I paid too much. Relegated to my fate, I made the best of it, and overclocked the dogshit out of the poor 2080 for the next 4 years. 

This is a 2080 after 4 years of overclocking.

I gamed on this card like it was my last. If I'm paying $849 for something that was beat by a previous generation, so be it. I started competitive Overwatch in 2018, and went top 500 for almost a year in FFA, and you can imagine what that does to a card. There are chinese bitcoin miner rigs that have less hours on their cards than my poor 2080 does. 

This is for beginners.

     I'm still salty. I've since built several PC's for my gaming family, and upgraded my own PC, and now we have two 30 series GPU's in the house that out perform the 2080, but not in my PC.. no way. I'm stubborn, and this fucking nerd is going to extract every ounce of longevity out of this card; so I did what at PC enthusiast would do, I repasted the die, put new thermal pads on, and replaced the whining dead fans with new OEM ones... then cranked it up to 11. For the next year and a half, I ran the card on the ragged edge, even going so far to buying an after market GPU socket fan to blow even more air on the card, and mounting a high performance fan on the side to hopefully exhaust even more of the hot air away.

New year.. same me.

     Now its the middle of 2024, and I just took my PC apart to clean it, and guess what, the 2080 is still in there, chugging along, overclocked to the moon and screaming during my extended playthrough of the new Robocop game with DLSS on. On epic settings, still over 100fps, fans on 91% of max, sitting at 77c temps under load. I'll be honest, I did not think this card would last 6 full years dialed up to 11. Like I mentioned, I have a slot fan and a blow fan aimed directly at it at all times and have done some work on it to keep it alive, but I never expected this kind of value from a card that no one wanted, and no one should have bought. After years of eSports and every triple A title from the last 6 years, this card has performed amazing, and never left me feeling like I needed to upgrade right away. My son's new PC, which is a 14700k with a 4070ti is light years ahead of my 10700k rig, but I still don't feel like I'm missing anything. I played 80 hours of Baldur's Gate at 100fps on epic settings very recently with zero issues or crashes. I've made up my mind, I'm going to wait until the 50 series drops, and get a 40 series card on sale and move on with my life.. but I wanted to share how my mistake turned into one of the best gaming choices of my adult life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment